Monday, August 16, 2010

Can I get an amen? The Gospel According to the Barstool Preacher

Once again I turn my attention to the Subculture Collective for a music feature. After discovering the Lonestar Texabilly show, I decided to explore some of the other shows in the collective. The Gospel According to the Barstool Preacher certainly is a name that catches my attention.

I downloaded Episode 72 and the Barstool Preacher played a lot of good stuff: Old 97s, Lucero, Cave Catt Sammy. He also dipped into plenty of classics like Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, and Hank Williams. I didn't hear one song I didn't like. Plus, he played a lot of tunes that I have in my collection already.

That being said, the Barstool Preacher took way too long in between songs, sometimes talking for seven or eight minutes between sets of songs. I know that part of the charm of podcasts is that they are not structured like commercial radio. However, people tune into podcasts more for the music than for the host. I don't say that to be rude or mean. I'm just being honest and making a fair assessment. Still, this podcast is worth checking out because the host plays so much good music.

No comments:

Post a Comment