Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fox of the Week [9/24]: Shay D Diamond



Shay D Diamond
is a model from Newark, New Jersey. She has been featured in Rap Soul Urban Magazine, Top Vixens, and G Gurls, among others. She answered questions about her first photoshoot, what makes a good photoshoot, and what she hopes to accomplish in her career.

What would you say is your best feature? Why?

In the industry I'm in, my best feature would be my behind. That's just of the things that everyone looks for in eye candy modeling, and they want to see tons of it...the bigger the better. However, I do believe that my best feature is my smile. I get a lot of compliments on it.

How did you feel when you did your first photo shoot?

I felt nervous as hell! I had no experience, and I didn't know how the pictures would turn out. Me being a perfectionist, I wanted to make sure everything was perfect, but when you jump into something like modeling, it is not easy at all! I didn't know what the photographer thought of me, and I had butterflies in my stomach. After a few test shots, I just felt like a natural in front of the camera and all my nervousness went away. I didn't like how the pictures ended up coming out, but I decided to keep doing shoots to try and do better.

What makes for a good photo shoot?

You have to have a photographer who is looking to capture the best shot of you. Some photographers just want the money you pay them and take a few pictures, don't give a damn about capturing you at your best, and that’s that. When you have a photographer who truly loves what they do and wants to make sure you get the best picture possible, then you can feel confident not only in front of the camera, but confident that your photo shoot will go well. The best photo shoots that I have had have been with photographers who are easy-going and do whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable so you two can produce the best shots. If you are not comfortable, or don't vibe with the photographer, it will definitely show in your pictures.

What is the most difficult thing about modeling? What is most rewarding?

The most difficult thing about modeling is getting respect. Some people feel as if a model is just a person who has a nice body and a head with no brain inside. People see me in my pictures, and I'm wearing a thong or g-string, and they automatically think I'm a hoe or a slut when I'm really not. In the industry I’m in, that is what works. I’m a glamour/eye candy model, not a prostitute. However, I still get emails and comments from people asking me for sex, and just saying downright disrespectful stuff. I know it comes with the territory...but would be a little better if people would stop assuming things and be a bit more respectful.
The most rewarding thing about modeling is having the honor of being featured online and in print. I love being able to add different sites that I'm featured on to my resume. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right when it comes to my modeling. I feel honored to be featured somewhere....it’s like, damn, you could have been featuring someone else, but no, it’s me. That makes me feel so damn good.

Who are some models you admire?

Well, I really love Kimora Lee Simmons. I think she is just fabulous. Everything she does is completely over the top. That is just the way she likes to be and I really admire that. I love to be different and over the top like her sometimes. She thinks of herself as a goddess, and all women should really feel that way about themselves, because we really are all goddesses. I also love Cubana Lust. She seems to know a lot about the industry and knows how to make money in it. She knows what it takes to draw people in to wanting to go and join her website, and she makes money from that. Now that is really knowing what you are doing and knowing how to get it done.

What is one goal you hope to accomplish in your career?

I would love to be featured in Straight Stuntin Magazine. That is one of the magazines that I am working so hard to be featured in. I went to a Funkmaster Flex car show in Edison, New Jersey, where they were also doing a Straight Stuntin model search, but they said I came too late to be in it. The winner of the search would be on the cover of Straight Stuntin. So I drove all the way over there for nothing and I was so sad I couldn't participate because I really thought if I was in it, I could have won. It was just a feeling I had deep in my heart. I was not going to let that stop me though...I'm going to keep going until I get what I want.
Visit Shay's Myspace page and Model Mayhem page.
Follow Shay on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment