Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Salty Dogs release Brand New Reason this week

(Photo L to R: Brad Williams, Nick Devlin, Brent Labeau, Bart Angel)

The Salty Dogs is a four-piece band from Little Rock. Vocalist/guitarist Brad Williams discusses playing with well-known artists, who he'd like to discuss music with, and the upcoming album Brand New Reason.

Complete the sentence. The Salty Dogs is...

I think you completed the sentence - The Salty Dogs is. I guess according to a former authority, it depends on how you define the word "is". (laughs)

You've shared the stage with some very popular performers. What does it mean to you to have those opportunities?

Of course, it means to be seen and heard by a different crowd and that to me is the coolest thing. Don't get me wrong, it's always an honor to play with whomever, but having a person coming up and telling you that they didn't know you from Adam and really liked you means something.

What have you learned from playing with those performers?

Probably that they are human and in most cases success didn't happen over night. Music is a repetitive skill that they have honed on the road. The good ones don't reflect the calloused repetition in the perfomance. That's the booger of it all. The Gourds are one of those bands that I respect. They tour a lot and still maintain great music and great shows.

Who would you like to perform with, but haven't had the opportunity yet?

Oh, I don't know. I never think about that stuff. Maybe Billy Joe Shaver.

If you could have a beer and a conversation about music with anyone, who would you choose? Why?

First of all, I don't drink beer. Never have. Sorry. Maybe Merle Haggard or Levon Helm. Merle is the Energizer Bunny and his voice and music is so pure to me. I imagine that he would be a wealth of knowledge and have some great stories. Levon to me is in the top 5 people who just exude cool. Levon right in there with Elvis for me. Great voice, great drummer and a great band AND he is from Arkansas.

Tell us a bit about the new album.

The new album, Brand New Reason, will be released on Max Recordings on January 26, 2010. I think the album really captures what The Salty Dogs are really about. The album was recorded and engineered by Will Boyd (American Princes) back in May 2009. You'll hear some feel good tunes, swing tunes and some in between. We are excited about it and can't wait for you to hear it.

What would you be doing if you weren't making music?

Not doing interviews like this.

Get a sample of the new album.

No comments:

Post a Comment