Sunday, February 14, 2010

Producer DJ Deminion: you must know how music works together


Normally, you would be looking at a feature about an independent music artist. However, this is a music blog, and since I had the opportunity to cover another aspect of the music business, I took it.

DJ Deminion is a producer from Orlando. He discusses: his musical background, the challenges of producing, and what sets him apart as a producer.

You received a music scholarship to Tennessee State University, but found your attention more drawn to producing than playing piano. What drew you more to producing?

I have been playing piano since age five and began taking lessons at seven. I played piano all through elementary school, middle, and high school. I began producing my Freshman or sophomore year in high school and at first it started as a hobby and my aspiration of becoming a concert pianist remained. However I found myself in my room for hours at a time making beats and less time practicing piano whereas in early years of playing piano I loved to practice. When I got to Tennessee State I actually lost my piano scholarship because I didn't want to practice, but all I wanted to do was make beats, and I noticed I had a talent when an artist walked in, put fifty dollars on the table and said if I have a hit he will leave the fifty and if not he will walk right out the door. Not only did I get the fifty I am now his main producer to this day. Nonetheless the good thing about producing is the fact that my piano knowledge transferred to producing because you must know how music works together, whether it be chords or genres of music.

Of what producing job are you most proud so far?

Although I haven't worked with any major artists thus far, I am proud to work with all artists I am currently working with. There are several projects on the table that are all potential hits. I am proud of everyone because I put my soul into everything I put out.

What part of the job is most rewarding? What is most challenging?

The reaction of the intended audience is very rewarding in itself. For instance they played a song that I produced at a big party and everybody went crazy over the song. Another rewarding part of the job is getting the song to reach its maximum potential. The most challenging is constantly making completely original beats time and time again. It is so easy to bite or sample because industry beats sound good but it is always my goal to make something the artist has never heard before, even if I am producing more than one song for that particular artist. No two beats ever sound alike and that is a challenge.

What sets you apart from other music producers?

My tenacity, my self-motivation, my ambition, drive, talent, and gifting in the area of music all set me apart from other producers. Also my unique sound and my versatility in several different genres as opposed to only one. And lastly my professionalism, businesslike mentality, and wisdom overall in the area of music in general.

If someone came to you seeking your advice on becoming a producer, what would you tell that person?

I would tell that person first and foremost learn to play an instrument; piano would be the best. And just keep making beats. Constantly perfect your craft and be consistent, patient and you will reach your goal in due time.

What would you be doing if you weren't involved in music?

Well actually I will be doing something in addition to producing in the near future. I plan to become an artist manager because I love helping artists get to where they need to be. I know how to motivate artists and I am learning more and more about the business aspect over time so I can expand to reach my maximum potential in both areas.

Follow DJ Deminion on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment